Respiratory Care - (951) 486-4290
Location: Second Floor
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The Respiratory Care Department cares for all patient age groups in all stages of diseases. The department assists patients with many different types of breathing disorders and problems.
The Respiratory Care Department is active in all patient-care settings and provides around-the-clock services to all Riverside County Regional Medical Center departments. Respiratory Care Therapists work with physicians and other health professionals in health care planning, evaluation, and treatment of patients with cardiac and pulmonary disorders. They also assist patients and their families with instruction on respiratory home care therapy and associated equipment.
As clinicians they perform therapeutic and life support procedures including the administration of oxygen and aerosolized medications, breathing treatments, chest physical therapy and mechanical ventilator support. In addition, they perform diagnostic tests that assess cardiac and lung function and operate physiologic monitoring equipment and life support systems in the critical care setting.
Treatment - the department initiates and maintains all patients supported with mechanical ventilation, oxygen therapy, other types of gas therapies, and administers aerosol drugs. The department assists all Lifeflight patients from the Helipad to the emergency department when they have an artificial airway in place. Routinely transport all mechanically ventilated patients in the hospital when they have to leave the intensive care unit, or when these patients are transferred to a local hospital.
Education - the department provides vital information to patients in helping them manage their disease/illness and wellness promotion.
The Respiratory Care staff is available to assist patients with their cardiopulmonary problems, and support the physicians and nurses throughout the hospital with the following services:
A. Life Supportive Therapies:
1. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation & artificial airway management
2. All modes of Adult-Pediatric and Neonatal continuous ventilation
3. Non-Invasive mechanical ventilation for adults, pediatrics and neonates
4. Ventilator mechanics monitoring
B. Respiratory Therapies:
1. Nebulized medication delivery, intermittent and continuous
2. Postural drainage and percussion
3. Heated humidity/mist therapy
4. Oxygen therapy
5. Incentive spirometry & PEP therapy
6. Heliox administration
7. Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing (IPPB) & Intrapulmonary Percussive Ventilation (IPV)
C. Diagnostic monitoring:
1. Arterial blood gases (ABGs ) & Co-oximetry
2. Pulse oximetry
- RCRMC’s Respiratory Care Department is part of the hospital’s Cardiopulmonary Diagnostics Services, which includes:
- Pulmonary Function Testing Laboratory (PFT)
- Bronchoscopy Services
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBO)
- Stress Testing
- The Respiratory Care Department has a separate California Clinical Laboratory License for arterial blood gas analysis (ABGs).
- The Respiratory Care Department is affiliated with two local junior colleges, A.S. degree- Respiratory Therapy (RT) programs. Many of the RT Supervisors are clinical instructors in those programs, or members of the RT Program’s Advisory Boards.
Many of the RCRMC’s Respiratory Care Practitioners are cross-trained to work in more than one critical care environment, and have their Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), and/or Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).